The college planning process can be stressful for students and parents. The WMHS guidance department is available to help students and their families through the college application process. Click on a link below for information regarding the college application process, college testing, financial aid, and other information regarding post-secondary education.
College Entrance Tests: ACT or SAT?
The state of Ohio will pay for current high school juniors to take the ACT one time in the spring of junior year. Students will take the ACT at WMHS during the regular school day. For the specific date, contact the school counseling office. For more detailed information (including test dates), visit www.actstudent.org or www.collegeboard.org
Fee waivers are available from the guidance department for students on free/reduced lunch. Depending on the student’s course of study, kids should begin taking the ACT during their Junior year. Students should speak to their counselor for more information regarding when to register for the exam. Cost, testing location, and online registration information as well as test preparation resources can be found at www.actstudent.org
Students who plan to take the ACT again on a National Test date will need their ACT Identification Number to create an account with ACT.
If students do not have a score report from ACT with this on it, they need to call ACT at 319-337-1270 to request it. WMHS does not have access to this information.
DID YOU KNOW?
ACT offers students who completed the ACT on a national test date in December, April, or June the chance to order a copy of the test questions AND a list of the student's answers along with the correct answers. This can be a useful tool when trying to improve an ACT score.
Students have five days after the test date to purchase a TIR online. This option is only available until the following Thursday at 12:00 p.m. (CST).
Follow the steps below to purchase TIR using your current ACT registration ticket:
- Log in to your ACT Web Account.
- Select the Make Changes to Your Registration link.
- On the What do you want to change? page, select the change button associated with “Test Information Release” found on the right side of the screen. At this point, the status in the light blue box should read Ordered ($20.00).
- To proceed with the order, click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen.
- On the Order Summary and Payment Information page, enter your payment information and click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen.
SAT results are accepted by nearly all 4-year colleges and universities in the U.S. The WMHS guidance department strongly recommends that students take the SAT plus the optional essay portion. The essay portion is optional, but many colleges require it. Fee waivers are available from the guidance department for students on free/reduced lunch. Depending on the student’s course of study, kids should begin taking the ACT during their Junior year. Online registration, testing locations, and test preparation can be found at www.collegeboard.com
- March 2 Success - Sponsored by the US Army. Provides ACT/SAT practice tests as well as content area practice. Recruiters do NOT receive personal information.
- Fastweb - Free scholarship search platform that connects students to scholarships and financial aid tools.
- Princeton Review - College information and test prep
- Ohio Means Jobs - Free Test Prep